Cons of Purchasing and Using Meranti Plywood (Lauan/Luan)
April 6th, 2016
- Most Meranti plywood (Lauan/Luan) orginates from tropical hardwood forests that have not been managed for long term sustainability.
- Most Meranti plywood originates from tropical forests situated along the Equator. These forests have declined dramatically over the past 30 years due to poor forest management.
- The appearance of Meranti plywood varies significantly from shipment to shipment depending on the source.
- Most Meranti plywood is sold as overlay and better grade which allows for the presence of knots, patches and discoloration.
- Most Meranti plywood has been packaged the same for the past 30 years. The crates have plywood covers, no corner protection and an inner liner of thin clear plastic. This packaging provides very little product protection which can lead to end and edge damage and the potential for the growth of mold inside the crates.
For more information on the benefits of choosing RevolutionPly® plywood, check out http://www.patriottimber.com/meranti-plywood-vs-revolutionply/!
Tags: lauan plywood / meranti plywood substitute, meranti plywood, revolutionply