Cons of Purchasing and Using Lauan/Luan/Meranti Plywood
February 24th, 2014
Cons of Purchasing & Using Lauan / Luan / Meranti Plywood:
- Most Lauan (Luan / Meranti) plywood orginates from tropical hardwood forests that have not been managed for long term sustainability.
- Most Lauan (Luan / Meranti) plywood originates from tropical forests situated along the Equator. These forests have declined dramatically over the past 30 years due to poor forest management.
- The appearance of Lauan (Luan / Meranti) plywood varies significantly from shipment to shipment depending on the source.
- Most Lauan (Luan / Meranti) plywood is sold as overlay and better grade which allows for the presence of knots, patches and discoloration.
- Most Lauan (Luan / Meranti) plywood has been packaged the same for the past 30 years. The crates have plywood covers, no corner protection and an inner liner of thin clear plastic. This packaging provides very little product protection which can lead to end and edge damage and the potential for the growth of mold inside the crates.
Check out this page for more information: http://www.patriottimber.com/revolutionply-vs-lauanluanmeranti-plywood/
Tags: lauan plywood, luan plywood, meranti plywood